Monday, February 7, 2011

I'm Going Vegan ...

... for a week. This means no meat, no cheese, no milk, no butter ... no animal products of any kind. I'll admit that I'm a total Oprah-aholic. I watch pretty much ever show. Last week she featured a show about veganism and it really caught my interest because of all the health benefits they discussed. My mom has had ongoing health issues and I immediately thought that this way of eating could help her. So ... I texted my mom and said "Let's try eating vegan for a week and see how it makes us feel." She responded with a lackluster "I'm in". So then I recommended she read the boog "The Veganist" that was featured on Oprah. We agreed to read and research for a few days before we began our little experiment. So my mom went to read the book on her Kindle and I went to the good old fashioned library to check out some books on Veganism. I ended up finding a book called "The Kind Diet" by Alicia Silverstone. We both were amazed by all of the health benefits that come from eating animal-product-free. Lower blood pressure, improved sinus, weight loss, etc.. The list goes on. My mom has tried everythign to improve her health EXCEPT changing her diet. What if this is the answer? Wow - it would be so awesome if she felt like HERSELF again!

Moral Dillema
Those of you who know me might be wondering how an animal-product-free diet fits in with my life! Obviously DJ is a farmer and his family owns a dairy farm. Not exactly a vegan-driving environment. :) DJ is not a big fan of this idea, but I told him it's just a little experiment. He's convinced that it's not worth it, but I'd just like to try to prove him wrong... for fun. :) My mom read that eating like a vegan is as good for the environment as driving a hybrid car for a year. Can you believe that?! It's due to all of the waste, energy, and toxic emmissions that the agricultural industry creates (especially dairy cows).

No don't get me wrong, I'm never going to swear off meat or milk, but I am anxious to see what this will do for my body and my health. I would never swear them off because I believe in the foundation of farming and think it's natural for us to eat meat.

What I'm Eating
Breakfast Day 1: Peanut butter Toast on whole grain with blueberries + coffee with soy milk.

Snack: Crackers
Lunch: Vegetarian bean burrito on whole wheat tortilla. Ingredients: Vegetarian refried beans, vegan "mozzarella", taco sauce, olive oil. It was soooo good!



Daily postings coming your way!

1 comments:

Nathan and Megan said...

I totally watch that show of Oprah's & couldn't believe the very beginning at the Cargill plant. I couldn't stand how they killed the cows & acted like it was a humane/dignified way of doing it. Disgusting. I will not swear off meat, either, because I love it too much & am from a family of farmers, too. I'm excited to hear about your journey!