Sunday, February 13, 2011

Day 6 & 7

Last week was such an interesting week. It was fun to experiment with my diet, eating no meat or dairy. Overall I can say that I felt lighter, kind of tired, and that I lost 3 1/2 pounds in five days. Not bad! I actually think I'm going to stick with it for a while - at least to some degree. I went off course a little bit - okay a lot - on Saturday night when DJ and I went out to dinner to celebrate Valentine's Day. I had crab cakes, seared ahi tuna and cheesecake! Meat, meat, dairy! Oh well - I'm okay with it because it was a special occasion. Not too sure two beers are vegan either. :) So my plan is to incorporate a lot more veggies into my diet, not to each AS MUCH meat - maybe once a week? and to stay away from dairy for a while. I'll keep you all posted!
Tonight I made meatless, veggie lasagna and it was amazing! (DJ wouldn't say "amazing" but he's trying to go along with it.) I loved it. Here's the recipe:
This vegetable lasagna is perfect for making ahead and can easily transport to a potluck or the freezer. It's not vegan, but it's a heckofalot healthier than my usual lasagna with 2 lbs. of beef and a block of cream cheese! :)

Yield: 6 servings

Ingredients

1 teaspoon olive oil

3/4 cup sliced mushrooms

3/4 cup chopped zucchini

1/2 cup sliced carrot

1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper

1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion


1 (26-ounce) bottle fat-free tomato basil pasta sauce

2 tablespoons commerical pesto

1 (15-ounce) carton part-skim ricotta cheese

Cooking spray

6 hot cooked lasagna noodles (about 6 ounces uncooked), cut in half

3/4 cup (3 ounce) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

Preparation

Preheat oven to 375º.

Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and the next 4 ingredients (mushrooms through onion); cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add pasta sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.

Combine pesto and ricotta in a small bowl. Spread 1/2 cup tomato mixture in the bottom of a 8-inch square baking dish or pan coated with cooking spray. Arrange 4 noodle halves over tomato mixture. Top noodles with half of ricotta mixture and 1 cup tomato mixture. Repeat layers, ending with noodles. Spread remaining tomato mixture over noodles; sprinkle with mozzarella.

Cover and bake at 375º for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes.

Enjoy!

1 comments:

The Hilliard's said...

Hey there Heather. I finally got back on this thing. It's so hard when I never get to sit by a computer to do anything on here. Luckily my phone has facebook! Anyway, there is this "diet" that most crossfitters do called the Paleo diet. Yes, prehistoric man diet. Basically it is meat and veggies (no potatoes though). LOTS of people like it. We try to follow it but we aren't so successful bc we LOVE BEER. It allows wine though! Just another option if you miss the whole meat thing. I know it is hard with men in your life bc they love meat and this diet allows that. Look it up on the internet. Meat, veggies, and nuts! Just another idea to throw out there.