Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Back to School

Today I became a student again. At 11:30, I went to my first course at IUSB. My hope is that this will lead me to become a Masters student next year. I'm taking Introduction to Statistics Theory in Economics and Business. According to my professor, it's as exciting as it sounds. He made it very clear that this was going to be a very difficult course, that he does not accept late work, that he will not provide extra credit, and that there will be NO going to use the restroom during class. I felt like I was in high school again hearing this man talk about "the real world" and "real deadlines". But the truth is, most of the students in my class are sophomores! 20 years old! It's true that they probably need to hear these things, but it just sounded so weird after having been in "the real world" for a few years myself.
After class I went up and spoke with my professor. Turns out, he's a really nice guy. He encouraged me to come to him with questions, answered all SIX of my questions today nicely and with confidence, and even said I could attend a 10 a.m. course on the same days of the week if it better suits my work schedule. He asked me where I work and about what I do. I think we'll get along nicely.
The main thing will be staying on top of the work. He told students that it would be best if this was their only class so that they could spend the 8-10 hours a week that this course requires. I was delighted, thinking "Hey! This IS my only class." But then I remember that I have my life to juggle - working, mommying, wife-ing. All wonderful things that I wouldn't trade for the world. Can you say balance!?!? I think my social life might take a hurting throughout this semester, but that's cool with me. Here's to growing up and learning about linear regression!

0 comments: