Monday, May 23, 2011

Stitches



Poor Jackson. On Saturday morning, I was rearranging my picturs on one of the built-in book cases in our basement. Jackson came over to see what I was doing (curious little man that he is) and tripped over my foot, fell, and hit his eyebrow on the brick fireplace. His immediate scream told me that this wasn't just a typical boo boo, but that it REALLY hurt. I picked him up and blood was streaming down his face. I ran with him upstairs to get something to put pressure on his cut and to try to stop the bleeding(shaky legs and all). I tried to put a butterfly bandaid on his cut, but he wanted nothing to do with it. Because it was bleeding so much and I couldn't stop the bleeding, we headed off to MedPoint. After waiting for about 45 minutes, we saw the nurse and she thought he'd need stitches. The physiciain confirmed that he'd need three. Oh boy. I asked if there was any way that we could avoid them, but he said it would heal much better with stitches. I asked for a numbing cream so that they injection wouldn't hurt so much and the nurse said (they only do that in dentists' offices). I wanted to say "NOT TRUE!" I know for a fact that pediatric emergency departments use a numbing cream before giving young patients injections. Just because it was MedPoint I think we were out of luck.

So then the real trauma began. The nurse had me hold Jack's arms, body and legs down while she held his head. They wrapped a sterile drape around his face, leaving only an opening where the doctor would be stitching. Man - I have never heard Jackson scream like that - and for so long! The doctor kept telling me "KEEP his ARMS down". I was trying, but really what I wanted to do was pick him up and keep him from having any MORE pain. Poor little guy - by the time it was over he grabbed on to me for dear life, beat red face and all sweaty and looked up at me like "WHY did you DO THAT to ME?!?!?". It was heartbreaking.

I hope we never have to go through that again, but other mom's (especially moms of boys) keep telling me that this is the first trip of many to the ER/urgent care. Ugh. I guess it's just a mom's job to want to spare our kids of pain. Jackson got a little ... okay a LOT...of extra TLC and spoiling this weekend. I'm talking constant kisses, games, and sugar.

1 comments:

Kyle and Trish said...

awww! Poor little guy! I hope he heals up fast!
-trish