Friday, March 20, 2009

Dan

I have been struggling lately with the idea of selling Dan before the baby comes. I haven't ridden in a couple months now and I know that my riding time will be limited once the baby comes.
I don't know what to do.
My aunt found someone that might be interested in buying him and this man is going out to the barn to look at him today. The thought of selling Dan makes me want to cry, but at the same time, it's not fair to him to be out in the pasture and not ridden. Ann uses him some for lessons, but he's not getting the attention that he needs from me. Plus, boarding him is an added monthly expense.
Another issue is that the market isn't what it was when I bought him two years ago - and now he's 16 years old - both are factors that will continue to bring down my price the longer I wait.
DJ thinks that I should keep him because he knows I'll miss him as soon as he's gone. He's right - I know that for sure - but this may not be the best time in my life for owning a horse.
I'm going to leave it up in the air for now. If the man who goes to look at him today likes him, I guess we'll take it from there. I'd have to go check out his place in North Liberty to make sure that Dan would have a safe home. Hopefully I'll know more after this weekend.

2 comments:

Steph said...

awwww! Good luck with your decision. It'll all work out. :) He's so sweet!

DeAnn said...

Oh, Heather! What a tough decision! I still have a love for horses, so I feel for you. I'll babysit so you can ride if I can ride once in a while! =)